September 11, 2009

Remembering

Do you remember where you were 8 years ago today? I do. I was working for an oil and well company in Corpus Christi, Texas. I had just walked into the office and my boss asked me if I had heard what happened. I hadn't, but I immediately turned on the radio and tried to get to foxnews.com. I'll never forget the sinking feeling I felt in my stomach. Just 7 months before Steve and I were married. He was in the middle of pilot training. We were married "pre-war," but I knew that this would change a lot of things for us.

I'll never forget watching TV that night, seeing all those family members searching for their loved ones, posting pictures of those missing. I can't imagine the feeling of desperation they must have had.

I remember how our country came together. I remember watching all the members of the Congress standing on the Capital steps, singing God Bless America. It's amazing what a difference 8 years make.

Today reminds me of why Steve's gone. He's fighting for our country. He wants Isabella and Jack to grow up in a country that is safe and free. It also hit me today that our kids will not know what it was like to live in America pre 9/11, and that's sad to me.

No comments: