January 14, 2010

Giving When it Really Matters

I was doing some quick grocery shopping this afternoon and walked by a HUGE display of bottled water...and the water was really cheap. It hit me...all this water just sitting there, for anyone to buy. It made me wonder what it was like in Haiti at that moment. No water. No electricity. No home. No hospital. Utter devastation.

The news is covering the devastation and tragedy like it did during the tsunami. They are talking about all the money that needs to be raised to help the people of Haiti. It reminded me of all the money raised during 9/11.

Steve and I gave to the Red Cross after 9/11. And then we heard about the bureaucracy in getting the money to those who needed it. It made me leery of giving to an organization other than our church again.

Then I found this great website: http://www.charitynavigator.org/. The Charity Navigator looks at all the money organizations bring in and how they distribute it. They give 4 stars to the organizations that give the most percentage of money vs. the cost of running the organization.


One organization that I've heard mentioned a lot lately, but never really knew much about is Compassion International. I was pleased that the Charity Navigator gave it 4 stars.




The people of Haiti need to see God's love. They need hope.

No comments: