June 18, 2012

Normandy

One of the places on our "bucket list" of locations to visit while we're stationed in Europe was Normandy. I know that Jack and Charlotte won't remember our visit there, but I really wanted Isabella to see the Memorials that pay tribute to those who have died for our freedoms.  We explained WWII to Isabella in 1st Grade terms. I think she was most touched by all the crosses and stars at the American Cemetery and Memorial at Colleville-sur-Mer.

We stayed in the same town where Steve and I stayed 6 years ago. Bayeux is a fabulous place, and famous for the Bayeux Tapestry which depicts the events leading up to the Norman conquest of England. The earliest known written reference to the tapestry is a 1476 inventory of Bayeux Cathedral.


Pointe du Hoc Ranger Memorial



Part of the Memorial at Omaha Beach





Another Memorial at Omaha Beach














Bayeux Cathedral
One of the beautiful houses in Bayeux

No comments: